Friday, March 21, 2014

The evolution of the elephant cake

My nephew loves all things elephant (who doesn't?).  He taught us all many things about elephants... The only thing I really remember is tusks though.  On African elephants, only males have tusks.  For Asian elephants, both males & females do...
So, about 5 or 6 years ago, I found an amazing elephant pan to purchase online because I knew this couldn't be a fad and that I'd be making this kid elephant cakes well into his adult life (and actually pondered if it could cause some issues between me and future wife...but nah, his wife's going to love me because she's getting that cake pan as a wedding gift!)





So, because of this love of elephants, I have become quite skilled with elephant cakes.  Until this year, when the elephant morphed into wolverine.  Sadly, again I ponder, is this the end of an era?  Is the elephant cake evolving into something else, something more mature, more fun, more un-elephant-like?

Here is our evolution:

1) green elephant with tusks

2) blue elephant no tusks (pictured here with his sister's purple elephant birthday cake):

3) elmer the patchwork elephant
 (this one required tons of research. and tons of dye.  in the end, i didnt use nearly as many colors as the artist in the elmer books did, but the customer was happy AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!)

4) a red elephant on a beautiful day

5) wolverine...so un-elephant-like.  It was very bittersweet decorating this cake (and yes, I know my lettering is very off-center....it was like 7am & for some reason I wrote "Cole" first).  Is it the end of an era?  I'm not sure... part of me hopes we go back to elephants next year.

If you notice the last two elephant cakes didn't use the mold, that wasn't an accident.  I tried to use the pan with each of them, but the cake crumbled right out of it.... I'm not sure if the pan lost something during the three times it was used or what, but I lost hope.   He'll still get it as a gift someday, but maybe it'll just be a wall decoration instead of a kitchen tool.
Happy birthday buddy, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment